Qualtrust Credit Union began on June 7, 1948 as San Angelo Telco Federal Credit Union. The original field of membership was the employees of San Angelo Telephone Company located in Tom Green and its surrounding counties. The credit union started with six members and $35.00 in cash.
In April 1953, San Angelo Telephone Company was purchased by GTE Southwest, which already had its own credit union chartered under the name of SAWTCO Federal Credit Union. Consequently, an overlap in the field of membership existed. The two Boards of Directors met and decided to merge the credit unions. On January 31, 1954, San Angelo Telco FCU and SWATCO officially merged and became General Telco Federal Credit Union, with operations housed in San Angelo, Texas. GTFCU’s new field of membership became the employees of GTE Southwest located in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.
By the mid to late 1980’s, General Telco had expanded to a total of five locations, including a branch at Shannon Hospital in San Angelo, which was the result of a merger with Shannon FCU. Three offices were established in the DFW area to accommodate GTE employees who had transferred to Dallas.
In 1989, GTE Southwest relocated its headquarters from San Angelo to Irving, Texas. At a December 27, 1990 Board Meeting, the Board of Directors decided to do the same. Following the consolidation of the DFW branches, the headquarters of General Telco FCU was officially moved to the main office in Las Colinas.
To better represent the members and GTE’s technological advances, in March of 1995, General Telco changed its name to General Technologies Federal Credit Union.
In 2004, General Technologies FCU changed its name to Qualtrust Federal Credit Union and expanded its San Angelo membership to all who live, work, worship or attend school in Tom Green County.