Remembering Our Partners
Recognizing Our History
We wouldn’t be telling the full story of Texas Trust if we didn’t acknowledge all of the great credit unions who became a part of Texas Trust along the way.
Their stories complete our story.
Learn more about our rich history below and join us as we continue to build on our legacy of building brighter financial futures.
Qualtrust Credit Union
Qualtrust Credit Union began on June 7, 1948 as San Angelo Telco Federal Credit Union. The original field of membership was the employees of San Angelo Telephone Company located in Tom Green and its surrounding counties. The credit union started with six members and $35.00 in cash.
In April 1953, San Angelo Telephone Company was purchased by GTE Southwest, which already had its own credit union chartered under the name of SAWTCO Federal Credit Union. Consequently, an overlap in the field of membership existed. The two Boards of Directors met and decided to merge the credit unions. On January 31, 1954, San Angelo Telco FCU and SWATCO officially merged and became General Telco Federal Credit Union, with operations housed in San Angelo, Texas. GTFCU’s new field of membership became the employees of GTE Southwest located in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.
By the mid to late 1980’s, General Telco had expanded to a total of five locations, including a branch at Shannon Hospital in San Angelo, which was the result of a merger with Shannon FCU. Three offices were established in the DFW area to accommodate GTE employees who had transferred to Dallas.
In 1989, GTE Southwest relocated its headquarters from San Angelo to Irving, Texas. At a December 27, 1990 Board Meeting, the Board of Directors decided to do the same. Following the consolidation of the DFW branches, the headquarters of General Telco FCU was officially moved to the main office in Las Colinas.
To better represent the members and GTE’s technological advances, in March of 1995, General Telco changed its name to General Technologies Federal Credit Union.
In 2004, General Technologies FCU changed its name to Qualtrust Federal Credit Union and expanded its San Angelo membership to all who live, work, worship or attend school in Tom Green County.
TrustUS Federal Credit Union
At the beginning of 1956, a group of 50 employees at Texas Industries banded together to create TrustUS Federal Credit Union, which was then known as Texas Industries Employee Credit Union. By May of 1956, the credit union had already grown to 214 members with share balances of $9,340, to whom 64 loans were made totaling $5,755. That month, interest income was an overwhelming $69.93!
But from humble beginnings, Texas Industries Employee Credit Union grew. Originally located in the Texas Industries corporate offices in Fort Worth, the credit union relocated to Midlothian, Texas on the grounds of the TXI Cement Plant in 2002. Over the years, membership grew to over 6,000, and in 2006, the credit union changed its name to TrustUS to more accurately represent its diverse membership groups – the largest of which was Gerdau located in Midlothian.
Security One Federal Credit Union
In 1966, Auto Workers Arlington Federal Credit Union was chartered by 30 employees of the General Motors plant. In the very beginning, the credit union was run by volunteers until staff could be hired. Over the years, other employee groups were invited to join, until in 1997 when the charter was changed to a “community” credit union and changed names to Security One Federal Credit Union. This opened up the membership to anyone who lived, worked, worshipped or attended school in Arlington or Mansfield. What started out with only 30 members and $89 in savings became a credit union with about 10,000 members and exceeded $57 million in assets.